Tuesday, April 25, 2006

One down - ?? to go......

It was 31 deg C in Raleigh today and I was wearing a black suit during the hottest period of the day! As I mentioned yesterday, I went for my first face to face interview at 1:30pm today (Tuesday). It was at Voith, a German-owned company about 1 hour outside of Raleigh. The interview lasted for 2 and a half hours, and I was interviewed by 3 different people individually. They seemed very happy with the answers I gave and I was pretty impressed with the structure of the company and how it treats its employees. I even spent about an hour with the CEO (a German) and he explained everything about the company to me and told me I look exactly like a guy who runs a restaurant in his home town in Germany! When he first walked in the room, he said "You remember me", and I am thinking "Ummmmmm No I don't buddy - never seen you in my life." He repeated that a few times, and I was sure that this guy spent a bit too much time at OktoberFest! Then he went on to explain about the restaurant owner guy and I figured out that his English isn't that hot and he meant to say "You remind me of someone" and not "You remember me!!!"

I think there is a strong chance that they would make me an offer, only thing is, its not a great offer. Now I don't mind working for the company, but I do not look forward to 2 hour commute everyday!!! Besides that the gas (petrol) prices are going up here all the time and that means I would have to fill up my 70 liter tank once every 5 days!!! So I will ask for a decent salary and will see what their response will be.

So far, I have one more interview up in Ohio next Monday, and it would be good if they also make me an offer and then I can play them against each other. Then may the biggest paycheck win ;-) Of course I wouldn't mind going for a few more "local" interviews - so please don't stop praying!

As I said today was 31 deg C but tomorrow a cold front is coming through and the max will only be 15 deg C! I suppose I will be getting a taste of South Africa's weather tomorrow!
Till later..............

No comments: