Sunday, June 13, 2010

Friends, Fishing, Frying (in the sun) and Food

.....and that was only Sunday!!! Our Sunday was really awesome, the kind that may receive the elusive "legendary" status! It all started after our Sunday morning church service, when Nathan and I jumped into our friend's minivan, and headed home with them. Liesel took Josh home with her, gave him an early lunch and put him down for an uninterrupted afternoon nap.

Meanwhile, Jim and I headed to Walmart to get a few supplies for lunch, and for fishing. Who knew that one can buy live worms at the superstore?? You learn something new everyday! We returned to their house and had a delicious lunch, before smearing the children with sun tan lotion and heading out to some of their favorite fishing holes. During the afternoon, Jim showed me the finer details of being a fisherman, and I learned how to set up the line with the hook, sinker and floater. I was also shown the less elegant side of fishing, the baiting of the hook! I was amazed at how Jim's nine-year old daughter, effortlessly and without any squirming, professionally placed the live worms onto the hooks!

We spent the afternoon casting the lines into the ponds, reeling them in and re-baiting the hooks. Unfortunately the fish weren't biting, but Jim did manage to catch a small fish, which he showed to Nathan, before tossing it back. Nevertheless, we had a great time fishing and learning! When we arrived back at their place, we saw that Liesel and Josh had arrived. The boys went back to playing on the Wii, while the adults relaxed and enjoyed each other's company. Char served a delicious dinner, followed by an ice-cream sandwich dessert, made by my talented wife! During the afternoon, Jim baked a Key Lime Pie, which he brought out later that evening too! We enjoyed his creation during a new card game that they taught us as well! Finally, after 8pm, we called it a day and headed home to put the boys to bed! Great day!

Speaking of great days, Saturday wasn't bad either! We started off by having a shopping run which we completed before 11am. Next on the To-do list, was to build the garage cabinet we purchased to store the dangerous chemicals, insecticides, weed killer, and paints. Once assembled, Liesel did a great job re-organizing the garage, ensuring all the dangerous items were safely locked away in the new cabinet. That afternoon, I headed to a colleague's surprise birthday party at a local park. I had a good time there and played a couple of rounds of corn hole. I even had a chance to share the live streaming of the Soccer World Cup on my EVO cellphone with some of the party guests! When I returned home, it was so hot and humid, that Liesel, Nathan and myself headed for our pool. I took Josh in with me, but I think water is his Achille's Heel, considering he is relatively fearless in all other realms!

After the refreshing dip, we dried ourselves, and at Nath's request, headed to Moe's Southwest Grill for dinner and family fun night. The food was good (as usual) and the boys well behaved (as usual too).

That was a great summer weekend!

No comments: