Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Father's Day Workout Weekend!

Even though my muscles are cursing me, and are plotting their revenge, my weekend was one of the best I've had in a long time! It all started on Friday night, as Liesel had arranged a babysitter for the boys, and we headed to a restaurant for dinner. We chose to sit outside on the patio. It was a beautiful evening, with blue skies and not a breath of wind! The patio was situated on the side of the restaurant, far from the sidewalk. It was a great place to enjoy the Asian meal out in the open and fresh air.

On Saturday morning, our family headed out to one of the Lorain County Metro Parks with our 3 bikes attached to the car. Once we arrived at our trail, ensured everyone was wearing their helmet, we headed out on a 6 mile (10km) bicycle ride! It was a good ride, along the Black River, even though at one point, Nathan gave us a scare. As we were approaching an enclosed bridge, that had a steepish downhill with multiple SLOW warning signs, Nathan sped past me, looking out of control. I had visions of him being carted away in an ambulance, and I just yelled at him get his feet back on the pedals! After two near collisions on either side of the enclosed bridge, he somehow managed to regain control of his bike and brought it to a stop without incident. I think his guardian angels had worked overtime that day! That aside, it was a pleasurable bike ride, and helped me burn a few hundred calories, as I had Josh perched in his seat above my rear wheel!

That afternoon, the sun baked down, heating up our pool's water. Nathan spent the entire afternoon in the pool, watching his mother weed the garden! I was in the air conditioned house, waiting patiently for Josh to wake up from his nap! That was tough :P After dinner, we all jumped in the car and headed to Crocker Park for ice cream! It was Liesel's family fun night, and she had received a gift card from the church for helping out at the Vacation Bible School this past week for the Coldstone Creamery (ice cream shop)! Josh loved his chocolate ice cream, and Nathan took a liking to my Chocolate Devotion ice cream, which included choc chips, hot fudge sauce, and brownie batter! Once we had our fair share of calories, we headed to the water park, where kids could play between the fountains on a hot summer's eve. Nathan had an absolute blast, but Josh preferred exploring Crocker Park, showing no interest in the waterworks!

The day was not yet over for Nathan and myself, as when we got back home, we set up the tent in the back yard, lay down enough cushioning to keep us comfortable, and after watching out for fire flies, fell asleep in the warm summer night air! Of course, there are no curtains or any insulation, so I was awakened with the loud singing of a medley of songbirds, and the bright skies at 5:45am. It was definitely the earliest I woke up on Father's Day ever!

Nathan and Liesel each gave me a precious card, and Liesel served up some chocolate croissants for breakfast! Then it was off to church, where the children from VBS blessed us with a number of their songs! Nathan and his good friend Josh, found themselves in the best position, front and center, and gave us an unforgettable show! They were the talk of the church afterwards. See for yourself in the videos at end of the blog! Comments are welcome!

That afternoon, after a much needed nap, I joined some of the teenagers and some friends (in my age group) from our church for a couple of games of Ultimate Frisbee! This was by far the most strenuous workout my body has been put through in a long time. Liesel, Nathan and Josh even came down to see me suffering! However, Nathan's cheering me on, gave me a much needed energy boost, which was awesome! At the end of 90 mins, both teams had each won a game but my body was waving it's white flag, begging me to call it a day! I did just that and headed home with the family. To finish off Father's Day, Liesel gave me some lamb to grill, and we had a divine dinner outside! Great way to finish a great weekend!



No comments: