Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend!


Finally, after watching South African family and friends enjoying 5 public holidays in as many weeks, we get to celebrate Memorial Day here in the USA on Monday. Memorial Day is unofficially recognized as the start of summer. Summer in the USA, means two things: cookouts and garden work! We partook in both activities starting on Friday evening. We had our friends over for a salmon and drumstick barbecue. The Talmage's have two daughters Nathan's age and they had so much fun together, from playing hide and seek, to making my driveway the most colorful in Avon with their chalk drawings! The adults also enjoyed ourselves outside on the patio, watching the children wearing themselves out!

On Saturday, Liesel did a quick grocery shop while I hung out with the boys and spent most of the time building things for Nathan out of his Lego! That afternoon, Nathan and I went outside to play some baseball. He has a T-Ball system, where you place the baseball on a "tee" and hit it. I was very impressed with his ability to fire the ball at me!! In the evening - I was the official Family Fun Night decider - and I chose to go have ice-cream at a local ice cream shop, Whistler's. The weather we have been experiencing lately makes going to an ice-cream shop a no brainer. Nathan even proclaimed that these family fun nights are his favorite!


On Sunday, I was on the worship team again so I spent my entire morning at the Church. It is always great to come home and have the aroma of a roast chicken waft into your nostrils! After lunch, Nathan accompanied me to Home Depot, so I could get some topsoil for the new plants that Liesel is planting in our garden. Later on, we all went for a walk around the neighborhood, and I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to use my bike! Unfortunately, Nathan tripped and fell on the side walk about a quarter of the way around. Liesel tried to carry him on her side, while pushing Josh in his stroller, but for obvious reasons, was struggling. So I put Nathan on my shoulders, and pushed my bike the other three-quarters of the way! So that was my weight and aerobic workout for the weekend! After we got home I bathed Josh, and then Liesel and Nathan headed into the garden to take advantage of the cooler temperatures, as the sun sunk toward the horizon. They added the soil that we bought earlier, planted seeds and watered. Afterward, Liesel rewarded Nathan for helping her and they sat outside and enjoyed an ice cream together!! I love the summers in Cleveland!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI Guys. So nice to see pics of all of you (Lee :-). Josh looks exactly like a little Nathan - you now have me and mini me! Trev uninstalled skype of his laptop & accessing Facebook is chewing up too many Kb on my work pc and they have also capped Trevor's 3G limit eish. your photies of the boys rooms have inspired me to start painting our house one room at a time! Any way. love you both Lots gotta go - need to phone customs in Zim - wish me luck I am going to need it... Janine