Sunday, October 07, 2007

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

No, that does not describe our weather, actually it's the exact opposite! This weekend we experienced record high temperatures of up to 34C, unheard of in Cleveland in October. And of course this was the weekend set aside for working in the garden...

On Saturday morning, Liesel was out of the house at 6:45am, as she went to another Kiddie's Kloset sale, and again came home with some bargains! After she came back, the 3 of us climbed into the Rendezvous and headed to Lowes (a Builder's Warehouse equivalent). We needed to buy gardening equipment, since this was our first expedition into the McCarthy's flower beds. We bought a shovel, a fork, handheld implements, gloves, hedge trimmers, pruning shears etc. This took more time than anticipated, because who would have known that there would be a variety of every single tool to choose from. I am not kidding when I tell you there were no less than 10 different styles of shovels. The phrase, "calling a spade a spade" doesn't hold the same meaning for me anymore.

So the rest of that day had me DIY'ing like an amateur! First, I had to sand down one of our exterior door frames and repaint it, since its old coat had become tattered and shabby.

After that, I had my glorious green grass to cut! The lawn is growing like one giant 150ft wide weed. I literally had perspiration dripping off the tip of my nose at 6:30pm! This is why I long for a snowfall, because then I will know, with near certainty, that the sweat from my brow will not be falling on my lawn for at least 4 months!

On Sunday, my worship team had the week off, and I got to sleep in for a change. I also had the privilege of sitting next to Liesel during the worship, which is also something I miss! After the service, we headed home, and I decided to map out our garden. Liesel and I want to overhaul our garden, as I counted 39 separate bushes planted around the house!!! Now we want to move a bunch of bushes around, but the amount of work and effort involved scares the fertilizer out of me! So if anyone wants to come visit us for a couple of weeks, I can offer free board and lodging, and the guarantee of some good workouts! Why didn't any of my friends with their own houses warn me about the amount of physical labor is required in order to maintain a house!?!?!

The weather is expected to cool down to some normal temperatures during the week, dropping 30F(17C) by Wednesday. Then the rest of the days have maximum temperatures around 11C! That's what I love about Cleveland, the weather can literally change overnight! Who knows, maybe my wish may becoming true sooner than expected!

No comments: