Sunday, October 28, 2007

7 easy steps to putting your foot through a wall

Another week has raced by, stopping only to whack me on my back as it ran past me! From this week's title, you may have guessed that I have discovered a simple way to make a hole (the size of a foot) in an American wall, or drywall as they are called here! On Friday evening around 11pm, I decided to go downstairs and say good night to Liesel, who was watching one of her favorite programs in the lounge. I also needed to charge my laptop, so I carefully carried it with me and took my first fateful step down our staircase. Since I was balancing a laptop in my hands, I didn't have the opportunity to grab the handrail (and I don't usually since I always felt that handrails were for geriatrics). It also didn't help that I was too lazy to switch the light on, so I guess I have to take the blame as my foot missed the edge of the first step, and caused my body to submit to the law of gravity. I slid down the 7 stairs (I counted!) feet first, with my spine riding the carpet like a supertube! After coming to a stop on the landing and realizing what had just happened to me, I checked and saw that my laptop was still in my hands, unaffected by the unfortunate trip. PHEW! By this time, Liesel had rushed to me since it sounded like the house was falling down around her, and she switched the light on. That's when I saw my right foot in a newly made hole at the base of the wall on our landing! SIGH :( Now I am not sure whether I am fortunate that we don't have brick houses here, because, at least I know I wouldn't have penetrated a brick wall.... Oh yes, and my back is now bearing a carpet burn 5 inches long and 1 inch wide over the lower lumbar region of my spine. Since I can't lie on it, I guess I won't be going to abs classes this week :( But at least my laptop is fine!!!

The rest of the weekend was a lot more fun than stair surfing! On Saturday morning we went to a nursery to pick up some soil for some bulbs that Liesel planted. Nathan loved the huge nursery where he could run around with reckless abandon. This nursery also had a massive room filled with Christmas decorations and Christmas trees which he absolutely loved! Only 56 more days to Christmas!! After getting back I decided to that the yard needed a mow again, and as I got near to finishing, the wind picked up, and the rain started falling! At least I can't complain about the sweat dripping off my face anymore!

That evening, Liesel arranged for a babysitter for Nath, and we had a much deserved date night again. We went to watch the movie, Dan In Real Life, and it was hilarious! Then afterward we had a cosy meal in a quaint little Middle Eastern restaurant before heading back to relieve the babysitter.

On Sunday, I again had a week off, so I could sit with Liesel throughout the Church service. Then a bit later, our friends, Phil, Marianne and their two girls came to have luch with us. Liesel outdid herself and provided an exquisite meal! And the dessert, which Marianne provided, was also incredible. It was a chocolate cake made with 3 differnt types of chocolate desserts and then chocolate chips were added for good measure. You can't go wrong with that! Nathan had a great time playing with their two daughters too! Now that was a weekend worth writing about!


As we head into a new week, we have our first freezing temperature warning, which reinforces the fact that winter is quickly approaching! Next week, Our Daylight Savings Time comes to an end and we fall back an hour, making the time difference between South Africa and the USA 7 hours. This means that instead of the sun setting at 6:30pm as it does now, it will set at 5:30pm............ sigh......... C'mon summer (6 weeks till our SA vacation!!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rmbr to put winterazion (Nitro) on your lawn when there'll be no more 60+ degrees - otherwise your lawn will fry - but come spring and it will look great!

Also I had to laugh at your stair surfing (sorry!) Zander was 4-days old and I went down 6-steps with him in my arms!