Thursday, June 23, 2011

The unluckiest airline passenger's blog

I thought that I would feature a guest blog today. Since my mom is (finally) with us, I think this is the ideal opportunity for her to share some of her experiences and tell us why she is the unluckiest air traveler!

The memoirs of Cynthia McCarthy:
Hi All
I have arrived at last to a wonderful welcome from Grant, Liesel and boys.   Grant says last night when he heard that the flight had been cancelled, and told Nathan - Nathan cried himself to sleep.   Let me tell you a bit about yesterday's journey.

Kate dropped me off at the bus terminus yesterday morning at 7.00 am with a large suitcase and a small suitcase and a large laptop type bag.   I travelled to Heathrow by bus, which takes you to terminal 1 and I needed to get to terminal 5, which is miles away.   I lugged the cases off the bus and went into the terminal where I had to ask the way.   I was told there was a free train service to terminal five, down flights of escalators.  Fortunately I looked helpless and a man helped me.   I arrived at terminal five and lugged all the cases up to the passport control area.   Luckily I got through without too much trouble at least got rid of one suitcase.   I waited for 2 hours then went to the departure gate - one had to go underground again to board a train to take us there - the train was not working so we were led through the emergency exits for this long walk, me pulling my hand luggage which weighed about as much as my big suitcase, and still had my big bag, over my shoulder.   We must have walked about a Km before we had to go up steps, this time no escalator.   I stood and looked helpless until someone offer to carry my case up the steps.   I had a nice flight which lasted 7 1/2 hours.

I arrived at Washington DC and had to collect my luggage and rebook myself into the United flight to Cleveland.   One has to walk miles, go through customs again and had to take my jacket off as well as my shoes,and stand against a panel with my arms stretched up, luckily no cases were opened.   After a 4 hour wait we were told that our plane had a mechanical problem and that we were delayed one hour.   Then the ramp was closed because there was lightening in the area.  After another half hour we boarded the plane but the pilot said he could not take off as there was a huge backlog because of weather and said that we should disembark and go and sit in the terminal building - now there was not steps available so after 10 minutes he said to sit down again and we were taking off shortly.   We took off, flew through the clouds when the pilot said he had to land again as a flock of birds had flown into the plane - so this time they found stairs and we got off.   This was about 9pm Washington time.   After a while an announcement was made that our flight had been cancelled and that we should go to Customer Services to arrange accommodation for the night.   I started to panic, what do I do now???   Well I was taken by shuttle to Holiday Inn, which was very nice, and went to sleep at 11.45 pm and woke up 4 hours later - I could not sleep even though I had been awake now for 23 hours!!!   A flight was booked for me this morning from Reagan airport, now I had to get there.  Fortunately I was given a voucher for a taxi as it was a drive of just over an hour.   Grant and Nathan were waiting for me, 24 hours after I was supposed to arrive.  Well now I am here at last, but unfortunately my big suitcase with all my clothes is still flying around the Washington skies.  I have been wearing the same top and slacks now for 3 days - hopefully it will arrive tomorrow.

That is the saga of my trip from London to Cleveland.
No more for tonight - another episode tomorrow.   This has been typed from my new laptop that Grant gave me!!!!
love to all

No comments: