Sunday, April 11, 2010

One week, four seasons!

As a colleague of mine so aptly reminded me this week, "If you don't like the weather (in Cleveland), just wait a few minutes and it will change!" How true that statement was over this past week. Last week I wrote about record high temperatures we were experiencing, something more typical in the middle of our summer! This Friday, just one week later, were had snow flakes mixing in with the rain, as the temperatures battled to reach the 40's (5C)! But wait there's more... Saturday and Sunday's weather were absolutely stunning Spring days - with blue skies and temperatures in the 70's (lower 20's C) - perfect for spending time outdoors!

On Saturday morning, I had arranged to have a person to come and aerate my yard. The soil here is like clay, so experts recommend that you have your lawn aerated every few years to allow oxygen and nutrients to reach the roots! I am still waiting for my mower, so hopefully the neighbors were appeased by the my efforts in caring for the lawn. Also that morning, Liesel cleaned out the inside of her car, while I played with the boys in the yard. After Liesel finished her chore, she watched the boys as I took out my trimmer to neaten the grass along the sidewalk and the one side of my driveway, and then I ran out of trimming cord. After dinner, we headed out to our home improvement store, where I purchased more cord for the trimmer and a wheelbarrow! The wheelbarrow will come in handy later this spring when we start working on our garden beds.......

On Sunday morning, Liesel had Nursery duty for both services at church, so I was Mr Mom for the morning. I got the boys ready for church and we got there on time. I enjoyed the worship leading of one of my good friends, after which I collected the boys again and headed home. Back at home, I managed to get in touch with all my family back in South Africa, catch up on all the news and even wish my nephew a happy fifth birthday! After lunch, I succumbed to the tranquility of the neighborhood took a rare nap! Later that afternoon, we spent some more time playing outside and getting Nathan some much needed practice on his bicycle! At dinner-time, I was excited to use my grill for the first time and grill some steak, when half way through, the gas ran out! Luckily Liesel finished off the perfectly marinaded steak in the oven for us. A walk around the neighborhood in the beautiful spring air was the perfect way to end a great weekend! Liesel and Josh walked ahead of us, while I followed Nathan on his bicycle, offering encouragement and instruction as he made his maiden voyage on his bike sans the training wheels!

No comments: