Sunday, May 27, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend

Another productive week has drawn to a close, as we edge closer to the midpoint of the year! As mentioned in the title, it is Memorial Day weekend here in the USA. Therefore myself, and my fellow Americans have the day off on Monday! This is also considered the unofficial start of our summer season in the USA.

I didn't mention this last week, but the long road to potty training Nathan has begun. We have bought him a musical potty, that "magically" plays a musical ditty when it has been used! Now, we have a policy of not forcing Nath to use it, so imagine our delight when before his bath one night, an electronic melody emanated from the underbelly of the new potty! Nathan had made his first wee into this contraption!! Unfortunately, the device has remained silent since, but we will not give up hope :P

During the week, I took my colleagues on a treasure hunt. The treasure would only be found in an Indian grocery store, and we mapped out a number of them around our workplace. On our second outing, I found my "holy grail", Nestle Milo!! It is much more fine than the South African Milo that I am accustomed to, but the taste is very similar! I can now sleep peacefully, knowing that there is Milo within reach, and sold in Cleveland!

Liesel hit the garage sale circuit for the second week in a row and again made an economic killing! She bought a playhouse for Nathan complete with door and window shutters for $15. She also sourced an adjustable kiddies basketball hoop and stand for $5! Then there were the virtually brand new Thomas the Train books with buttons that made various sounds for 25c each. She basically filled up her SUV with dirt cheap purchases that I am now battling to find free space in my garage to store them!

This week, we were experiencing temperatures in the 30's C (while SA is in the grip of its coldest temperatures - MUHAHAHAHA). Nathan, Liesel and myself made our first appearance of the season at the apartment's heated swimming pool! The water was divine, and Nath enjoyed splashing his dad! For safety, Liesel and I bought Nathan a life jacket type vest with removable floatation blocks. We are hoping that Nathan will gain some aqua-confidence with his new jacket!

Finally, this weekend, we went to our Bible Study's cookout! It was a great time getting to know each other better, and to watch Nathan interact with the other children and adults! The hamburgers and hotdogs were delicious, and I enjoyed the Coconut Cream Pie for dessert! Nathan became the life of the party when he believed that he could turn lights on and off by clapping his hands (with the assistance of the home-owner conveniently located a the light switch!)




We still have no official plans for tomorrow (memorial day), but I can definitely see some swimming in the forecast, and perhaps a visit to the beach!

No comments: