Sunday, June 10, 2012

It's all fun and games, until someone gets stung by a wasp

What a gorgeous weekend! Cloudless skies, accompanying hot, windless days gives us the perfect excuse to spend hours in the pool, which is exactly what we did...
The weekend started on Saturday morning with a band practice for me. The band is playing at the Avon Cafe this coming Saturday, so we needed some extra time to work on a few songs for the gig. While I was strumming my guitar, Liesel took Nathan to our favorite home improvement store, as their kids program was building a wooden airplane from the Madagascar movie that morning. When I got home, it was time for lunch, and then a little later, the boys headed to the pool! It was glorious, especially since the water temperature was 83 degrees (28C)! We stayed submerged until dinner time, which was at Moe's, as per Nathan's request for his family fun night. On the way back, we made a detour to a home improvement store to pick up a gas bottle for my grill, as well as a window screen repair kit. This was the cheapest option to replace holey screens that my youngest made in his screen, the screen door in the kitchen, as well as my bedroom screen! Fortunately YouTube has a DIY video on how to do your own screen replacements!

Sunday was even hotter than Saturday. Nathan showed some Pink-eye symptoms, so we opted not to go to church. Instead we had a lazy morning enjoying the air-conditioning in the house! After watching some of the Men's Final in the French Open, Liesel headed out to do some grocery shopping. While Lee was out, I was checking on the pool, and on the way in I felt an intense pain in my knee, Instinctively my hand went to my knee to brush away the source of the pain. Unfortunately, the source was a wasp that stung my knee, and then subsequently stung my thumb! It's been decades since I was last stung, and I obviously forgot how intense that pain is! I immediately put my thumb under cold running water, before looking up how to treat stings.... Once the stings subsided, the boys and I ventured outside, and headed back to the pool for some cool fun! For dinner, I fired up the grill and we ate a delicious dinner outside on the patio. After dinner, we played outside some more, before going on our second bike ride around the neighborhood that day! You've got to love summer! Now only if we could get rid of the "useless" insects that can ruin our fun.........


No comments: