Sunday, September 04, 2011

Global warming rears its head!

As I stepped out of my air-conditioned office building on Friday evening, I was hit simultaneously by a wall of heat and humidity. My car's instrument panel confirmed this unusual meteorological condition for September, reading 96 degrees (36C) in the shade! It's on days like these that you are thankful that your car and house are equipped with air conditioning! When I got home, the family climbed into the car and we headed out to our local Costco (South African equivalent = Makro) for dinner for the first time ever! The amazing part of this dinner was the price. For a total of $7, we had two huge slices of pizza, one large hot dog and three large (and bottomless) cold-drinks! Not too shabby! On Saturday morning, Liesel and Josh headed off to the gym. I didn't join them, since the temperature was due to hit the upper 90's again, and I wanted to get the yard mowed before the temperature rose too high. Even at 9am, I had drops of sweat rolling off the tip of my nose! This would have been the perfect day for jumping into our pool, but unfortunately, the water in the pool had past its "sell by" date. No one had made use of the pool in weeks, so my other task on Saturday was to start emptying the pool! The boys and I had loads of fun expelling the water in various ways. That evening, for my family fun night, we went to Crocker Park for an ice-cream dessert. We also used this opportunity to get some grocery shopping done. While Liesel pushed a cart up and down the aisles, I was pushing my boys on swings! It's always useful when there is a playground around the corner from a shopping store, so that Liesel can do her shopping unhindered, and we don't get to hear the groans and moans from the boys (me included :P) On a considerably cooler Sunday, we had a slow start in the morning. Once we were all dressed, we headed to a couple of stores before going to Church. This was our second visit to this church, and as we went inside and headed to the Children's wing to drop the boys off. We were quickly informed that there is no childcare or Sunday School this Sunday, since the church service was especially for kids, and aptly called Kidstuf! Nathan and Josh weren't too keen on this idea, and honestly, neither were his parents. But as we went into the church, we were greeted by some young people in costume. The stage had been transformed into a number of different sets for the various stories presented. We started off with some upbeat singing, which really got Josh going. Then, various actors came on and performed high quality skits, using all kinds of props, and even incorporating the projectors! The execution was flawless, and I commented to Liesel that this was like a mini-Broadway for kids! The amount of work that went into today's production must have been substantial. We were really surprised to find out that every first Sunday of the month in a Kidstuf service, and this has been going on for the last 4.5 years! We were very impressed, and loved the message that it brought, catering especially for kids of all ages! The rest of the day was very laid back, as spotty rain showers kept us indoors most of the time. Thankfully, tomorrow is Labor Day here, and I get another day to spend with my family! Labor Day is also known as the unofficial end of Summer, and for at least the last two years, Labor Day's temperatures have been considerably cooler than the previous days (as if Mother Nature knew exactly what day it was). Tomorrows maximum temp is forecast to be 68 (20C) and wet. At leas I won't be missing my pool any more....

No comments: