Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring has sprung! Perfect time to go skiing!

This week's highlight for me is a no-brainer! After working some crazy hours this month, play time was long overdue! After-all, I didn't want to become known as a dull boy! Fortunately, in January this year, a former colleague (Brian) and I had set aside Thursday, March 17 as the day we would make a trip to Peek 'n Peak Ski Resort in New York. This trip has been in the works for at least four years, but this was the first year that we could actually put the plan in action!

So, on Thursday I picked Brian up and we drove two hours east to the Ski Resort. Once we arrived at the resort, the temperature was in the upper 50's to lower 60's (15C), but the snow depth on the runs was still at least 14 inches deep! The resort was also very quiet, mainly because it is so late in the season, as well as being in the middle of a work week, which was ideal for a beginner like myself! Soon I had my rented ski's attached to my boots and Brian and I were making our way to the first ski lift in the learning area. Brian had the patience of a saint as he helped me with the skiing basics! A little while later, with my confidence slightly higher, we made our way to the top the mountain to find some more runs to tackle. At one point during the morning, we made a wrong turn and headed down a snowboarding trick run, complete with ramps, rails and even a school bus half buried in the snow! It was very challenging for me, but fortunately I had a fail safe way of stopping, which involved me assuming the spread eagle position and sliding down the snow on my stomach! It wasn't pretty, wasn't always voluntary, but it was effective! My goal for the day was to be able to complete a run witout falling down, which I accomplished on the second last run. By this time, my muscles were aching and I was running out of steam. We decided on one trip up to the top of the hill. Halfway down, we had to go down a more difficult run in order to get back to the lodge. This didn't seem to phase me as it was my best run of the day, and the perfect way to wrap up a great day of skiing!


As for the weekend, a few tears were shed on Saturday morning as Nathan and Liesel took her parents back to the airport. We had a great time together, but as the saying goes, "All good things must come to an end". That afternoon, the library was the perfect place to help take Nathan's mind off of his grandparent's recent departure. It was the Brick Builders club, which he always loves. Later on, we went on our first family stroll around the neighborhood since autumn!

On Sunday, we went to church in the morning and that afternoon, I brought my ladder inside in order to hang up some family portraits. Liesel had the great idea to fill up the large blank wall on our stairwell with some happy family memories from the years past! I must say that I think I did a pretty good job!

I will be leveling the frames and affixing them to the wall :)

No comments: