Sunday, March 07, 2010

Soaking in sunshine in South Carolina

Wow - what a week! And to think that tomorrow, the vacation ends, as we part ways with family and make the two day drive back home! Too much has happened this past week to document in my blog. If I described everything the McCarthy-Schaefer clan got up to these past seven days, and you decided to print the blog, I fear major forests could be wiped out because of the reams of paper that would be needed! SO I give you the Reader's Digest condensed version....

Highlights of our week included a visit to Patriot's Point, where we could explore the aircraft carrier, USS Yorktown, and a submarine! Nathan got to enjoy the sights of Charleston in a horse-drawn carriage with his grandparents and aunt. We spent a number of hours fishing, crabbing, playing on the beaches, going for walks, playing tennis, and visiting a petting zoo. Great, lasting memories were made with family, and I have shared some of them with you in the slideshow below!

One particular story I have to share with you: On Saturday morning, Liesel was getting ready for the day in the bathroom, when I heard her shriek, "JOSH! NO!" The panic in her voice got my attention and I raced to find out what my youngest son was doing! When I got there, Josh was standing there with my contact lens container in his hand. Liesel then told me, that he had just drank the saline solution, AND lens, for my left eye. Lovely - that was a $300 cocktail that he had just downed like an oyster! I was pretty upset about it, since I left my lens container within his reach. So I took it upon myself to check his forthcoming diapers, which is not something I recommend to those with weak constitutions. To cut a long story short, 3 diapers and about 30 hours later - I actually managed to spot the lens (which is translucent, and about the size of my pinky fingernail) in the diaper! So I have now sterilized the lens by boiling it in water, then pouring more boiling water over it, cleaning it with my lens cleaning solution, then wiping it with an alcoholic swab from the First Aid Kit, then washing it one more time with the lens cleaning solution!

With that beautiful image in your head, I leave with images from the vacation! Enjoy!

No comments: