Sunday, March 21, 2010

Arrivals: Spring 2010 - Expected: March 20 -> DELAYED

This week's blog is being typed by my toes, since I have lost all my fingers to frostbite after going for a bike ride at lunchtime on Saturday!! A few days before, we were led to believe that Spring was indeed on her way, as we got to experience lovely warm days with temps around 65 (18C)! But then the legendary Cleveland weather hit. Even though we were greeted with blue skies and bright sunshine, the temperature was deceptively low! Liesel went for a walk/run around the neighborhood with Joshua, and returned prematurely to bring Josh inside, as it was way to cold (37F/3C)for him outdoors! I experienced the same frigid weather when I went for a bike ride after lunch, and subsequently lost the use of my fingers! (Ok so I didn't get frostbite, but it was VERY uncomfortable and I did not feel my hands for a while!)

Later that afternoon, once feeling returned to my ten digits, I braved the icy air and "summerized" the patio. I set the Grill free from the confines of the garage, as well as his accomplice the umbrella. This is symbolic of my eternal optimism that warm days will return soon (preferably within the next few weeks!)

On Saturday evening, Nathan and I headed to our church's annual Pinewood Derby. Basically, contestants take a standard pinewood car kit (pictured below) and modify it within certain limitations, to make the fastest free wheeling car possible.


A NASA scientist at our church designed a racetrack, complete with laser timing to four decimal places, to determine, without a shadow of the doubt, which the fastest car is! It was awesome. Nathan and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, especially the fact that we were just observers this year, with no pressures or nerves hovering over us. Seeing the designs of the winning cars is definitely an advantage, and we are keen to enter next years competition!




On Sunday, the weather was much the same as Saturday's. So we put the winter coats on the boys and headed to church. After church, we made a pitstop at the Target store, to buy Nathan and Josh some early birthday gifts from their grandparents. Nathan and I headed straight to the Lego aisle, where he picked up an Offroad Firetruck and Rescue Boat, as well as an Electrical Utility truck. After lunch, Nathan disappeared into his room to assemble his latest Lego models, and we did not see him again until 90% of everything was built. Josh also had his share of the spoils, and was full of smiles once he had his hands on his brand new police car!



and now it's time to sign-off as I fear a cold might have caught up with me during my short bicycle ride yesterday!

No comments: