Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day²

Ah yes, that time of year when the retailers milk all those in relationships, as well as those hoping to be in a relationship, of all their hard earned money! So Liesel and I took the opportunity to spend some money too, but it was on a much needed date. We decided to go and watch the movie "Valentine's Day" on Friday night. We got a babysitter for the boys and headed out to the local cinema hour before the show. Unfortunately, an hour was not early enough to be able to secure a couple of seats in the 7:00pm or the 7:40pm shows.

But that didn't put a damper on our night, as my trusty iPhone saved the day! After unsuccessfully getting the tickets at Westlake, I searched for nearby theaters showing Valentine's Day on my phone. After finding another theater about 10 minutes away, I confirmed that they had tickets available for their 7:15pm show. They did! So I handed my phone to Liesel, who proceeded to purchase a couple of tickets online, while I drove as fast as I legally could, to the theater. I love technology!!!!

The movie actually surpassed my expectations, and both Liesel and I enjoyed the romantic comedy! Two hours later, the movie, and the date was over, and we headed home to relieve the babysitter.

On Saturday, Liesel had a bit of shopping that she needed to get done, so I volunteered to stay at home with Joshua, and her and Nathan spent the morning at various shops. I got to spend some time Josh and was marveling at his new-found walking ability, which has improved exceptionally since last week! The rest of the day was pretty low key, until Family Fun Night that evening. It was my choice, and after some brief deliberations with my wife, I chose "board games". We each had a taste of victory in the various games we played, and soon retired with smiles on our faces.

On Sunday, my alarm woke me at 6:15am as I had to get ready and be at church at 7:30am. I was playing in the band and Liesel was serving in the nursery for both services. The services also featured our orchestra and choir performing a Chris Tomlin/Matt Redman song which was so beautifully done! There is nothing better than the sounds of orchestral instruments ringing praises to God! After getting home at 12:30pm, I spoke to some family in South Africa, and showed off Josh's walking skills! After lunch, I was hit was hit with a stomach bug and went to lie down on Liesel's orders. That lie-down obviously worked as I was up again at 4:30pm, to start herding the boys into the car, as we had a dinner date with some friends. Char and Jim served up a delicious Mexican main course! Liesel made a favorite South African dessert, Custard Slices. It is similar to a Ice Cream sandwich, but with unsalted saltines layering the top and bottom, and a custard filling the space in-between. The food and the fellowship was thoroughly enjoyable!!!

No comments: