Sunday, February 07, 2010

Frozen firsts!

A symphony of snow throwers signalled the start of the weekend on Friday night, as the biggest snow storm of the season unleashed its arsenal over us. Fortunately we had no plans on Friday evening, other than staying inside, eating homemade pizza and playing on the Wii for Nathan's Family Fun Night.

On Saturday, Nathan and I headed outside into the howling wind, to start clearing out the driveway. Most of it was under about a foot of snow. Thankfully my snow thrower handled the load without too much effort.

We had to get the driveway cleared as Nathan and I were going to his school at 12pm, for the Kiddie Kollege Father's Day celebration! It took a while to get the driveway, as well as the entrance cleared. I also had to go to the rescue of my neighbor's visitor, whose car got stuck at the bottom of their drive. With a bit of shoveling and a lot of pushing, we managed to get the visitor back on the road again!

Nathan and I then climbed into Liesel's car (the one with All Wheel Drive) and headed to his school. The father's had the opportunity to see their children in action, and I got to decorate a photo frame with Nath. For snacks, we were served donuts, and finally we went to the action room, where all the children sang a couple of songs dedicated to their dads! I had a great time, and was so proud of Nathan! The father and son time did not end there, as afterwards we headed to a sledding hill in Bay Village, for the first time! This hill was a lot steeper than what we were used to, and a lot more popular! This did not deter us in the least and Nath and I were soon hurtling down the frozen decline! After a few runs - we decided to head home and reward ourselves with some hot chocolate!

Once at home, we took off our winter snow gear and relaxed. While I was upstairs having a recovery nap, Joshua took his first steps!! Luckily he repeated his feat over and over again, so I could see for myself how he eagerly he takes his five steps before gravity takes over!

On Sunday - we were up and ready for church at 8:30am. Afterward, we came home and caught up with some family via Skype. Later that afternoon Nathan and I geared up again and went outside to build his first snowman! With a carrot borrowed from the fridge, some stones for eyes, and one of Liesel's scarves, our snowman came to fruition!


In the evening, Liesel made a delicious pork roast, which was perfect after spending an hour or so building the snowman! After dinner, and getting the boys bathed, I sat back and watched the NFL Superbowl, while Liesel and Nath watched some reruns of the Biggest Loser in the play room! Of course, I forgot to take the trash out, and only remembered at 11pm. So the last thing before bed was putting the bins at the edge of our driveway, with the temperature at 15F/-9C, wearing only my pajamas! Living in North East Ohio is not for sissies :)

No comments: