Sunday, November 22, 2009

Happy first birthday, Josh!!!

One year ago, I was getting Nathan, with his overnight bag, into my car and heading out into Cleveland's first snow storm of the season, after a frantic phone call from Liesel, informing me that Joshua was about to come into our world! This weekend, we celebrate a year of an adventurous, care-free, loving,and energetic life with our little hurricane, Josh!



Saturday was Josh's big day, and he was the first to wake up. Once all of us were awake, we moved to the living room and handed him his first birthday gifts to open. Of course, his older brother was on hand to demonstrate the proper paper ripping techniques! He seemed to enjoy his gifts, and was moving from toy to toy, trying to determine which was most fun. Being one year old, he could now enjoy certain privileges, such as a pancake for breakfast and his very first, birthday cupcake! Being his first cupcake ever, his dessert etiquette leaves much to be desired, as is evident in the photos!


Later that day as Josh took a nap to recuperate from all the excitement, I took advantage of the above average temperatures we have been experiencing, and started to put up our Christmas lights! I will not, however, be following local shopping complexes' example, by turning the lights on so early in the season. It will only be after Thanksgiving before I flip the switch to turn the festive lights on. We also had a chance to catch up with our families in South Africa using Skype! It's so much better for the grandparents and aunts to be able to see Joshua and wish him happy birthday"face to face"!

That evening, after supper, it was Family Fun Night, and Liesel chose to play board games as our activity! Liesel and Nathan shared the victories this time round......

On Sunday, it was a rare occurrence, that I was awake before everyone else, including Josh! The reason for that was that my alarm woke me up at 6:30am as I had to be at the church at 7:30 for worship team rehearsal. This Sunday was the first time that I played lead "electric" guitar for the team. The reason I put electric in quotes, was that I still played my regular Fender accoustic guitar, but this time I had an effects pedal which converted my guitar's sounds to that of an electric! I really enjoyed this new role, and loved seeing the face of the people in the congregation who were trying so hard to find out who was playing the electric guitar! After church, Liesel prepared another delicious roast for us, and then it was all hands on deck for getting the house ready for Josh's party at 3pm! Liesel catered and as always, served up a delicious array of dishes! She had everything from mini-quiches to a spicy buffalo hot sauce dip that accompanied tortilla chips. For the sweet tooth, she had cupcakes, her signature double chocolate chip cookies,and éclairs filled with custard to name a few!

At 3pm, our friends started arriving, and Nathan was thrilled to have four of his best friends spend the afternoon with him! Everybody had a great time, from enjoying the food, watching (but not enjoying) the Cleveland football team snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, and just hanging out and enjoying each other's company! Ah yes, it was a great weekend! Can't wait for Josh's second birthday :)

No comments: