Sunday, October 25, 2009

Life slowly getting back on track

This past week has been a chaotic one. If you remember from last week, Liesel's cousin arrived to spend a few days with us before jetting out of here on Saturday morning! So while I was going to work each day, Liesel, the boys, and Nicky would be heading out to some activity around Cleveland. These activities included apple picking, walks on the beach and exploring Amish country, two hours south of where we live! But Nicky thoroughly enjoyed herself, and loved taking photos, especially with her recently acquired 75-300mm zoom lens, that she ordered over the internet and received it the next day! Here are a couple of photos that she took ->




On Saturday morning, Liesel and Nathan took Nicky back to the airport and said their good-byes. On their way home, they stopped at Toys R Us, so that Nathan could spend his money that he got for his birthday and bought himself the Lego City Garbage Truck! The rest of morning, he was busy putting the truck together! He did a great job and did 99% of the entire truck without any assistance from me! I, on the other hand, had a crappy job (literally). Earlier, I had noticed that water was leaking out from the base of our guest toilet! After a little research on the internet, my diagnosis was that the wax seal at the base of the toilet was broken and had to be replaced. So I unbolted the toilet from the floor and lifted it off its base. Of course, Liesel saw this as a wonderful opportunity to give the area around the hole, a thorough cleaning, and promptly handed me a cleaning agent, and a cloth.... Good thing that I had my chemical resistant gloves on! This was not fun! Once the floor was sparking again, Nathan and I made a quick stop at Home Depot to get the replacement wax seal, and to buy a replacement bulb for Liesel's one turn signal that had given up its will to live. Once home, I quickly replaced the bulb in her car, and then fitted the new seal to the toilet and then struggled to place the throne back in its proper place over the hole! Who knew that this was so laborious!?!?! Next time, I'll have to get a friend over to help me...

I also removed the old, smelly and moldy caulk (silicone) from behind the kitchen sink, and laid down a new, much neater (and mildew resistant) silicone in its place! So after a hard day's work, I just wanted to lay back and relax in front of the TV, but we had one last thing left to do, bath the two boys. This turned out to be much more painful (literally for Nathan) than what we are used to. You see, Nathan was very constipated and was crying from the pain. So as parents, Liesel was going to deal with Nathan and I would bath Josh. I usually put Josh in the bath and wash him while I kneel on the floor next to the tub, but tonight I really needed to bath as well. So I quickly take off Josh's clothes and his diaper, and leave him on the floor while I go check on Liesel and Nathan. Not twenty seconds later, I find that Josh decided to wee on the carpet, and two of his favorite books! But wait, there's more! I take Josh to the bathroom and put him down there, while I run to his room to do some damage control, and when I get back in the bathroom, little Joshua had now pulled himself up to the toilet and was fishing some unflushed toilet paper out with his hands....... Eventually I get him and me into the bath and I wash him, and when its time to get out, Liesel who would normally take him from me, is still dealing with Nathan, so I had to get out with Josh, dry him and then proceed to get his pajamas on - all before I was even able to dry myself, let alone put some clothing on! FINALLY we were able to get both boys bathed and in bed! I was exhausted and headed to bed 2 hours earlier than normal for me! What a day!

I had to get up early on Sunday, as my team was playing for the services today. At church, I found out that our church was going to be doing a live video stream of its services via the internet today, and every week from now on! This was exciting for me, so I contacted my mom in South Africa and gave her instructions on how she would be able to see the live stream too! At the end of the service, I called her again, to find out how it was, and she said that it was lovely, and the sound was very clear, AND.... "why is your shirt untucked????". I could not believe, that my mother sitting in her home many thousands of miles away, could still tell me to tuck my shirt in! Anyway, everyone in the worship team had a good laugh at that! For more info about seeing our services streamed live, go to the end of the blog!

That afternoon, was a lot quieter than the day before, and Liesel got a nap in, and I got to lie down and watch some football. A little later, the weather was beautiful outside, with blue skies and warm temps - so we went for a brisk walk/jog around the block! Then it was dinner time and afterward Nathan helped me put together some drawers and some storage cubes for his room (which turned out a lot smaller than the picture on the box....) Finally, we had an incident-free bath time and soon the boys were in dreamland and Liesel and I were in our favorite seats watching the Amazing Race!



For those of you wanting to tune in to our church services live: go to http://www.providencechurch.us and click on the Live Video Stream icon in the bottom left of the home page. Bear in mind, that our service times are 9:00am and 10:30am ET (4:00pm and 5:30pm South African time) - Sundays only. Next Sunday, I will be playing again, as will the Providence Orchestra, and Choir - performing a Chris Tomlin song! Really looking forward to that!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those views from upstairs are beautiful! it looks like such a lovely well kept neighbourhood and I think I see Mr Josh starting to look more like his big brother.
Love Janine