Sunday, June 14, 2009

No rest for the Wekka (S.A. Slang for Worker)

This blog comes to you live from Washington DC! This was my final destination for the past whirlwind of a weekend! After a busy week at work, one would normally look toward the weekend as a place to relax and recharge.... not so in the McCarthy household!

Friday night was Nathan's Family Fun Night choice, and this probably was the most relaxing activity of the weekend! He chose to watch Madagascar 2 (for the third or fourth time now) and it was fun to watch again with our feet up for a bit! On Saturday morning, we were up and ready to roll at just after 8am! We were heading to a working farm on the East side of Cleveland. This was really the highlight of the weekend!! We started off looking at the Dairy section of the farm, where we saw how cheese was made and walked through the room where the cows were kept.There was a 4 day old calf in the one corner, and he enjoyed being petted! The next room had a collection of model trains safely secured in a glass box. There was a button that could be pressed to set the trains in motion, and of course, this became Nathan's favorite activity! After we could pry his fingers off the button, we climbed aboard a trailer that was being pulled by a tractor. It transported us to the Equine Center. Besides the obvious, this center had some more farm animals on display. There was a variety of chicken, and then Liesel's favorite, 3 day old lambs who were suckling from their mom. Nath got to feel the woolly coat of a sheep! There were also some five day old piglets making their presence known with the squeals! Of course, we also had to see the horses in the stables! My there was the Police K9 unit demonstration.
To finish off the day, we made pit stops at the Barnyard to see the Llamas and Alpacas, at the Plant Science building then one more stop at the Dairy. Here we were told about milking cows, and Nathan got to go up and milk the cow! Finally we had a lunch there and packed up and headed back to the west!


When we got home, I had to get out my mower and give the grass its weekly trim! This time I kept my shirt on, as the lesson I learnt last week need not be repeated.... ever! That evening Liesel and I watched the DVD "Swing Vote". It was a very enjoyable DVD and afterwards she retired to bed. I watched a more testosterone-full DVD afterwards called Hancock, with Will Smith and Charlize Theron! It was OK - but I was exhausted and finally crawled into bed after 12:30am!

After 6 hours of sleep, it was time to get up and get ready for Church. I was playing, so had to be there at 7:45am! Before leaving for Church, there I quickly covered my front yard in fertilizer, as it is most effective when done when the grass is still wet from the dew...... and then I left for Church! It was a fantastic worship set and everybody in the band got into a really good "groove"! I played in both services, tidied up and the end, and got home at 12:30pm. There was time for a quick lunch, a chat to my mother and then I had to pack my bags for my trip. AT 2pm I reversed out of the driveway, and drove the 6 hours to Washington DC, where I will be until Friday on a course. I must mention that since I drove here, I had space in my car for my bike - so I hope to get some exercise and sight-seeing done in my spare time!

No comments: