Sunday, June 08, 2008

Buiding, blowing up, burning, blocked nose and a baebecue!





As Cleveland melted in the heat from the hottest day of the year thus far (95F/36C), myself, my good friend/colleague, Brian and our manager, Nick worked together to fulfill a promise to Nathan. A while ago, Liesel and I promised Nathan his own Jungle Gym - complete with swings and a slide if he started wearing underpants! So, of course, my colleagues and I arranged to take a day off work on the first day of an extended heatwave to assemble the play set. Before we started on the assembly, I inflated a alligator-themed paddling pool for Nath, that he absolutely loves! This kept him entertained while we were hammered and drilled the hundreds of pieces of lumber that the set consisted of. Slowly and surely - the lumber began taking the form of a fort! 7 hours later, we had done it! One brand new play set assembled complete with swings, a slide and roof to provide much needed shelter from the summer sun. Unfortunately, during those 7 hours, the spf of my sunscreen ran out and left my shoulders a shade that is comparable to that of a ripe tomato. Even my legs fell victim to the solar rays! Tonight as I type this (2 days later), the sting of sunburn has not yet dissipated :(
But seeing the joy on Nathan's face as he swings on his gym, makes the discomfort worth it! Thanks Brian and Nick!! Without your help this project would probably have taken me 7 weeks, let alone 7 hours!

Later on Friday evening - we were invited to our friends Brian and Robin for a barbecue! We had a great time with them, and Nathan just loves playing with their sons, Ethan and Isaac. A good time was had by all, not to mention the great meal!


Saturday and Sunday were just as hot as Friday, so time was spent indoors in the air-conditioned house and playing in the pool and on the swings. I had some gardening tasks that needed to be completed - and Liesel hit a few garage sales! On Sunday, I was part of the worship team again and really enjoyed today's services!

Currently in North-East Ohio, the cottonwood trees are causing my allergies to act up. Around this time of year, these trees release millions of dandelion-like pollen that floats wherever the winds sends them! At volleyball on Monday night, it was as if it were snowing as the white pollen fell from the trees around us! And it is this pollen that causes my nose to become congested and my eyes to itch! So right now I am in the process of trying to pinpoint the allergy medication that will work for me, by trial and error. So far after 2 weeks and 4 brands I am still unsuccessful :(

No comments: