Sunday, August 05, 2007

My International Debut

Does being a South African, playing for the first time in an American worship team, constitute an "international" debut? Well, let's pretend it does ;-)
Today (Sunday) I played for the first time with the Providence Worship team, and I had a great time. I only had one "minor" mishap, was that I forgot turn my guitar back on after tuning it before the first service, so no-one could hear me! So there I was playing to myself, thinking that the ear-bud monitor system I was using was missing something..... me! After the first service, I was told by the sound desk that I had not been picked up at all throughout the service, including my solo intro for one song. Oops! But for the second service, I checked and double checked, and made sure I was "on" and being heard. It went a lot better the second time around ;-) Luckily we have 2 services each Sunday, so I can fix all my mistakes the 2nd time around!
Our friends Robin and Brian even made a special effort to come watch me play today at church! Thank you, sorry that you couldn't hear me :-( Next time will be better, I promise.

This week, the worship team made use of the earbud monitor system that I mentioned last week, for the first time.

This took a bit of getting used to, but the benefits are incredible! The guitarists will soon be getting wireless earbuds, so we can move around more freely! Today I was using a wired set of monitors that take some time fitting snugly into the ear. But once in, we have the ability to mix our own sound and it makes a huge difference!

On Friday, some friends moved into their new house in Avon. We drove past their house at around 6:30pm to see if we could offer any help. When we arrived there, there was no-one at the new home. However the front door was unlocked, the garage door wide open with a variety of furniture pieces placed on the garage floor. Also, the children's bicycles and toys, were left outside the house on the driveway! According to our friends, this was left like that all day, as they drove between the 2 houses, transferring stuff. We explained to them how this would never be possible in South Africa, as any thing valued at more than R10, has a tendency to grow legs and be liberated! Speaking of moving in two weeks time, we should have the keys to our house in our hands! We will be doing a final walk through inspection of our new house this Friday evening.... woohoooooooo!

On Saturday, we continued our quest to find the elusive bedroom suite, but again return empty handed :( On the brighter side, we did get ourselves a stunning six seater dining table from Costco on Wednesday, and tied the table top to the top of Liesel's Buick and drove it home where it is now in our garage! Sorry Brian, a few extra boxes to move :P My colleague Brian, has graciously offered to take a day's leave and help us move into our house. Thanks Brian!!!!

No comments: