Sunday, August 26, 2007

Home sweet, amazing, beautiful home!

Ah, yes! I think have have told Liesel everyday since we moved on Thursday, how much I love our new home. Just to see Nathan have so much space to run around and explore makes all the hard labor, bruises, and tedious hours of packing and unpacking all worth it!

On Wednesday, we had arranged for all our new furniture to be delivered to the house. This included the washing machine and tumble dryer (washer and dryer as they are referred to here), our lounge suite (a 3 seater, 2 seater, chair and storage ottoman) and our bedroom suite. With these new additions in the house, the living area started becoming more "homely"!

On Thursday, I took the day off work, as well as my colleague Brian, who graciously offered to help with the move. I rented ourselves a U-Haul truck, and around 9am we started loading the truck with our American possessions. We started with the difficult and heavy things first, such as our queen bed, sleeper sofa and office desk. Once those we out of the way, we loaded Nathan's things and a heck of a lot of boxes and trunks. This took us less than 2 hours.... we were good! Did I mention that it was one of the hotter days of the year and the temperature was around 34C (92F)..... With our t-shirts clinging to us, as if we had entered a wet t-shirt competition, we went to go and pick up a refrigerator that our friends had given to us! Next stop, our new home!!! Unloading was a lot quicker, with special thanks to a dear friend Robin, who came to watch Nathan for us, which in turn freed up Liesel to help with the unloading! We had everything out of the truck in about 40 minutes. All that was left to do was to return the truck. The grand Total for the move was less than $60 for the truck rental, and $10 for its diesel. Not bad going for two IT guys! Thanks again Brian!!

The rest of the weekend saw Liesel going back to the old apartment to give it a good clean, and myself assembling media stands, shelving and office desks with my trusty cordless screwdriver/drill! On Saturday we realized, that our lawn was about 3 times longer than our neighbors and was probably being frowned upon by the neighbors, who religiously keep their lawns manicured. So off to the shops I go to purchase a new lawn mower for myself. Unfortunately (or fortunately) for me, when I came back with it, the heavens had opened up again and we were receiving another shower, which meant I would not be able to mow. That was OK since there were plenty of indoor projects to occupy my time!

On Sunday, I headed off to church at 7:30am for worship practice before the 2 services. When I got home at lunch time, the cloudy skies had dissipated and the sun was shining in all its glory. After lunch, i went and started up my mower and met the mowing challenge head on. It was quite tiring, since last time I mowed a lawn was about 13 years ago! That kept me busy all afternoon, not to mention the fact that my back is now glowing a deep red, as if I was radioactive!! When I had finally finished, Nathan had woken up from his nap and came to play outside with me. It's such a wonderful experience seeing your sun on his little South African scooter, heading down the driveway with a look of pure pleasure as he fights off a speed wobble! That look alone makes it all worthwhile for me! Then we put together a play gym, complete with twin slides, that we found on e-Bay, and has since been kept, dismantled in our apartment's garage. Nathan absolutely loved this new toy of his, and he played on it before and after supper! At bed time I said that we have to go inside now, and his response was "When my eyes wake up, I come play outside again!"

We are so blessed with all the space that this house has! (Sorry for rubbing it in DJ-but after being cooped up in the apartment for 15 months, I can't contain my excitement any more!!)

1 comment:

Angie said...

I can't even tell you how excited I am for you guys! I hope you have room for 6 Lechners to come visit next year! :-)
Love you 3,
angie