Sunday, June 18, 2006

Life is good .... as a father!!

A friend of mine in SA, Jerome, who has climbed Mt Kilimanjaro, bungy jumped at the Victoria Falls, jumped out of an aeroplane 10 times and abseiled the Knysna heads has this saying: "Life is good". Although I have only done 1 of the 4 things mentioned above, just being the father of Nathan is exhilarating enough, and I concur, life is good!!!

On Saturday, we decided to head to our neighboring town, Avon, for their Annual Duct tape festival. Yes, a duct tape festival........ Apparently duct tape was invent and first produced in Avon, Ohio, and every year they celebrate this with a festival. We arrived at the back end of the float parade, where organizations had designed and built there own float using duct tape. After the traffic jam, we arrived at the festival grounds and it was very similar to a South African fete, but with an Amusement park thrown in! The one obvious difference was the Duct tape exhibits where they had various sculptures, like a wigwam and a gorilla made out of duct tape. Then there was the Duct tape fashion tent. You won't believe some of the creations that some obviously bored people managed to come up with!

With temperatures reaching 33C we decided to head home around 12:30 for Liesel's and Nathan's siesta. Once Nathan arose again, we headed off for a very welcome swim!

On Sunday morning, I surfaced at around 8am, and discovered that my "mixed up" mother phoned at 6:38 to wish me a happy Father's day!!. Apparently she calculated the time difference incorrectly (or that's her story anyway), but fortunately I always leave my phone on silent, so it did not disturb my Rapid Eye Movement. When I got up I was spoilt by my wife and son. I got some new jeans, a shirt for work, a T-shirt, a waterbottle for work, and an AERO and Cadbury's Caramel bar!!! What a family!!! Liesel took "her boys" out for breakfast to IHOP (International House of Pancakes). I ordered the Savoury pancakes with bacon, and Liesel ordered the chocolate chip pancakes. After a couple of bites we swopped and decided we preferred our partner's choice. The choc chip pancakes were absolutely delicious with actual choc chips in the batter, so every mouthful had a promise of melting chocolate! After breakfast, we headed to the second service at our church. The worship was fantastic with us singing some of my favorite worship songs by Chris Tomlin (Great is our God), King of majesty by Hillsongs and and Michael W Smith's Agnus Dei. The message was just as inspiring!! As the weather was still scorching at 31C, I took Nathan again for another swim this afternoon and he loved it. That was my father's day weekend. Like I said, life is good!!

P.S. Please be in prayer for our friends Ryan and Tammy in SA as their second baby will be arriving this week. I can say that with confidence as the baby's already over 1 week late!

Until next week..........

No comments: