Monday, January 16, 2012

Alternative workouts

This week, I only managed to put in 3 workouts at work. Before you think that my New Years resolutions are dissolving like a snowball in the desert, let me justify my actions. On Wednesday, I left work at 1pm because I was feeing fluey, so I headed home and hit the bed.  Then on Friday, I chose to work from home, and what a wise decision that was! On Thursday night, the biggest snowfall of the season began making its presence felt, leaving the roads on Friday morning a white mess! And the snow did not stop until Sunday morning. So while I spent the day at home on Friday, I did still find some ways to exercise. First bit of exercise, was to head outside at lunch time to clear the driveway with the snow-thrower and snow shovel. My second calorie burning activity was to take on Nathan in a friendly game of baseball football after dinner!

Saturday's workouts included a second driveway and sidewalk clearing. Not only is it a workout that gets the heart pumping, but your lower back also gets in on the action when lifting the wet snow with the shovel! This was done before 8am, since I was expecting someone to come and install a new Internet service for me. My existing Internet provider pushed their price up by $20 after being with them for one year. So I found an offer from their competitor who actually gives me 50% faster internet for 40% cheaper! Not a bad deal! While my new internet line was being installed, Liesel took Josh shopping and to the library. As soon as the cable guy had finished up his work, Nathan and I packed some sleds into my car and headed for the slopes for our first sledding of the season! Of course, sledding is another great way to burn calories, by walking up a snowy hill after an exhilarating downhill run, over and over again!



On Saturday night, Liesel and I headed out on a much needed date night. We had a peaceful dinner at our favorite Mexican place, before bargain hunting at some of her favorite stores that were having sales! It felt good just to browse the stores without a little voice asking you if you're finished yet!

Snow continued falling throughout Saturday night, so Nathan and I had another snow-clearing chore waiting for us before church on Sunday morning! We had a great church service, but before heading home we had to stop and pick up a new game rental for us. The game, Just Dance 3, is so much fun. The object is to imitate the dancer on the screen. The Wii console judges the movement of the remote control in your hand, and determines how accurate you are, and scores you accordingly! This was my final workout of the weekend, and trust me, this was most probably the most intense! Nathan and I danced together, and sometimes he won and sometimes I won, but that didn't matter, because we were sweating AND having fun!! I leave you all with a video of Nathan dancing :)


From Jan 16, 2012

No comments: