Sunday, August 09, 2009

A Birthday to Remember

This weekend saw another candle added to the my birthday cake! Luckily, for my benefit, Liesel could only find one candle in the house which would have to suffice. :) On Saturday morning (my birthday), I got up and was treated to freshly baked chocolate croissants and a freshly brewed cup of java!

Then it was time to open the presents from friends and family around the US and from South Africa and Botswana! I especially enjoyed the chocolates and "stuff" from my mother. And my friend Ian and Renae's gift card to Mitchell's Ice Cream!! So there's goes my hopes of starting my diet this month!

It was raining most of Saturday, and when it was at it's lightest, we took a drive to Crocker Park and walked around. I visited my favorite store there, the Apple store, and pointed out what I would like for my next birthday :) It was the Apple Mac with 24" wide screen and the MIDI keyboard attached with the Bose sound system..... It's nice to know that at 35 years of age, one can still have dreams!

We came home - had some lunch and then I headed to the Church for a rehearsal with my band for our performance at the Songwriter's Showcase later that evening. The rehearsal went well and felt ready for my debut performance (See video of the performance below this blog!) I was back at the church at 5pm for final sound checks and we kicked off Providence Church's Third Songwriter's Showcase at 6:30pm. Liesel and my boys were there to support me, along with about a hundred others. When it was my band's turn, we took the stage and got ready to perform! Before I kicked off the song, the MC told everyone that it was my birthday, and I got an impromptu Happy Birthday sung to me :) Afterwards it was back to business, and I really enjoyed singing my song. Of course, there would have been no way I would have done anything like this if it weren't for the great band I had! Everyone was awesome! The rest of the evening's performances were also really good and enjoyable, but the highlight was when last band, the Covert Operation performed three songs! Very talented guys, including their 16 year old drummer, Joe, who is in our church, and was also the drummer in my band!!



On Sunday morning, Nathan woke me up by jumping on my bed at 7:30am. I had promised him the day before that we could play the new Wii game in the morning and he was holding me to my promise! So I stumbled down the stairs and we started playing the Wii SPorts Resort! He absolutely loved it, especially sending my character falling off the platform into the ocean with the Sword Play game! After a few hours of playing, we got cleaned up and headed to church. It was the hottest day this summer so far with the heat index of 105F/41C. We spent most of the day inside the walls of our air-conditioned house except for a quick dip in the inflatable pool in the backyard.

Another highlight of my birthday weekend was seeing my eight month old Josh, giving every ounce of energy into getting up and crawling. It was so rewarding to watch the little guy put all the effort into moving forward and seeing the look of satisfaction after moving a few inches forward! At this rate he will be fully mobile by the time of my next blog! Of course that means it's time to start baby-proofing the house!!!

All in all, I had a very enjoyable birthday weekend and thank you to everyone who wished me, sent me e-mails, and wrote on my Facebook wall. You made my day extra special!

No comments: