Sunday, July 19, 2009

Welcome Home Gabi

On Thursday, Liesel and Nathan made the 2 hour drive to the airport in Detroit to pick up her mom, who has flown in for just shy of 3 weeks to help Liesel out while her hand recovers from surgery. It is such a pleasure and blessing to have around to help us out. Nathan is over the moon with having his "gogo" staying with us again. The two of them are almost inseparable.


On Friday, I returned to work after working from home from that Monday. It was good to be back in my office and mingle with my colleagues again! That evening, it was time for Family Fun Night, and I had the honor to decide what it would be. My decision included untold calories, as I took the family to Mitchell's Ice Cream for the best ice-cream in Cleveland! Since Gabi had only ever visited in the winters, we wanted to show her what summers in Cleveland were all about - and we were not disappointed. I invited a good friend to join us and we had a good time devouring those decadent desserts! Afterward - it was home time and bed time for the two boys. While Liesel and Gabi ensured the boys were tucked in, Ian and I pulled out the Wii remotes and had our own Wii Fest! We played tennis, bowling, golf, more bowling and then some tennis! The intensity was tangible, and some of those earlier calories were very quickly burned off in our contest!

The weather this weekend was perfect - not too hot, and definitely not cool. On Saturday morning - Liesel decided to trade her family fun night for a morning activity - and she directed us to The Original Pancake House in Rocky River for breakfast. Among us we had pancakes, potato cakes, crepes and a waffle - and enjoyed every mouthful! Later on that day we headed to the Westlake Recreation Center for a leisurely stroll around the ponds and their facilities. Nathan ran ahead with his gran while Liesel and I got the rare opportunity to walk together and just chat (while pushing Josh in the stroller).

That evening, I grilled some burgers for dinner, and we sat outside on the patio savoring the summer tastes and taking advantage of the mild temperatures!

This Sunday morning I had my first opportunity in about 10 days to sleep in, and loved every minute of it! Eventually I dragged myself out of bed around 8:30 and came downstairs for breakfast and use that time to Skype my family back in South Africa! We left for church shortly afterwards and then came home to a delicious roast chicken that Liesel had prepared. Later that afternoon - everyone was out in the yard - doing some gardening, and I made a shelf for the garage.

Again - the weather was gorgeous - and we took a walk around the neighborhood (I followed alongside on my bike). Again, we enjoyed dinner out on the patio, and soon enough it was bed time for the boys again. Once they had settled down, Liesel took her mom grocery shopping at 8pm, an activity that isn't possible in Africa - due to most stores closing at 6pm.

Summertime in Cleveland! I just love it!

No comments: