Sunday, October 26, 2008

Baby or Blizzard : Bring them on!!!

This weekend we were due to take a trip up to Detroit to reunite Jacques with his sister (Liesel's aunt). Unfortunately a bout of sinusitis for Liesel and Doctor's orders, we had to cancel and spent a quieter weekend at home. But that was not a bad thing in the least. We managed to satisfy most of Liesel's nesting needs! This included my putting on the finishing touches on the nursery paint job on Friday night. On Saturday morning, we purchased the curtains for the rooms , as well as a side table and lamp that will accompany the rocking chair - for whoever is on baby duty! Liesel made sure everything for the baby was washed and sterilized. By Sunday, everything had dried and put back together, and then placed in the nursery - ready for use :)

So we went from this.......


to this!


Other weekend activities included going to church and a walk around the block with Nathan's sporting his brand new Spiderman helmet! We need to take advantage of these sunny days as we are very well aware of the cold, wet and icy months ahead of us!


Speaking of which, this forthcoming week has a couple of things in store for us. Firstly, on Sunday November 2, the USA moves back an hour as we bid farewell to the summer's Daylight Savings Time. Then secondly, our first forecasts of snow have already cropped up! There is a rain/sleet/snow chance on Monday night/Tuesday morning!! At least the weather is still warm enough that we won't see any accumulation of snow for a while still. The snow should melt as it hits the ground as the temperature is still above freezing. Our accumulating snow usually moves in near the end of December and definitely in January and February. This season, I do not fear any accumulations or even a blizzard! This is because I have hopefully said goodbye to the back-breaking work of shovelling snow off the driveway with my latest purchase. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you my new snow thrower!!!

After some conversations with my South African family this weekend, I realized that they don't have the slightest idea of what a snow thrower looks like - which is which why I included the photo above! This little beauty should keep my driveway and sidewalks clear throughout the snow season, and I can't wait for a decent snow fall to fire this baby up! I think Nathan summed it up when he came looking for me at lunch time - and I was outside giving the thrower a test run. He shouted back to Liesel, " Mom, dad is outside playing with his new toy!!!"

No comments: