Sunday, January 20, 2008

That time of the year!

That time of the year has finally arrived for 2008. Confused? I'll give you some hints.... It is an event that only happens once a year. It usually occurs sometime during the winter. Give up???

It's the time of year when I succumb to the freezing climate, and reluctantly add the inner lining to my winter jacket! With temperatures plummeting to -26C (15F) with the wind chill today, I had no choice, but to add the additional layer to my winter jacket!


This was our first full week back in the USA after our SOuth African holiday. Nathan got very excited after our first real snowfall of about 4 inches on Tuesday this week! He is the model child, as he kept insisting that he wanted to shovel.... so who am I to get in the way of his dreams :P

Afterwards, I rewarded him with some fun on his sled, going up and down our driveway. It appears that his fear of snow, after doing a face plant in 2 feet of it just after we had our blizzard last year, has diminished! This is great news for me, as I can imagine the fun that the two of us could have together during this years snowy season!

On Saturday, Liesel did some early morning shopping before having her hair cut. I kept Nathan entertained indoors whilst she was out. When she got back, it was my turn to go shopping and I bought some paint for our bathroom. I have decided that the deep leafy green paint color should now become a thing of the past, and I have chosen a much more serene, cloudlike color called North star for main bathroom. This is a task that I will be tackling tomorrow, as it is a bank holiday here thanks to Dr. Martin Luther King!

Later on Saturday afternoon, I thought that it is high time that I took the holiday lights down. I understand that my timing to do this is shocking - since there was a wind chill temperature of -15C (5F) outside. It wasn't too bad except that my naked hands took most of the punishment as I had to undo knots and untwist the lights from the gutters and support beams.

That evening, Liesel and I caught up on some important viewing that we have missed out on. I am pleased to announce that we have now seen all the Amazing Race episodes, except the finale which aired tonight - but that is also taped and we will watch it tomorrow!

On Sunday, we woke up later than usual, and it appears our internal clocks are now back in synch with the USA. We decided that since it was so cold, we won't go to the early church service. This gave us a chance to stop by Target so we could by a Coffee maker and a food processor for Liesel before Church. Church was good and then we bundled in the car with the heat on maximum, and headed home. That evening, we ventured outside one last time to attend our bible study. It was good to see everyone again after our extended absence and fellowship together!

As a final note, please make I ask you to pray for my brother-in-law, Roy, back in South Africa, who is undergoing surgery on Wednesday evening. Please pray that he has a quick recovery, and for my sister, that she can be strong as she supports him during this time! Till next week.......

No comments: