Sunday, February 18, 2007

THE blizzard of '07 - and walking on water!!


On Tuesday, management sent out an e-mail that all employees should go home earlier that day, due to an approaching blizzard! Also, we were warned not to drive into work on Wednesday if the conditions were bad........ (understatement of the year). To get home that day, a trip that normally takes me 25 minutes, took me over an hour! It was bumper to bumper traffic, all travelling at speeds no higher than 20mph! The highways had not been plowed, and only 2 of the 3 lanes were being used as the snow on the third lane was too thick and slippery to use!

When we woke up on Valentine's day, we were greeted with a sight that I thought my South African would never see! Two feet of snow had accumulated through the night! This totally covered pathways, shrubs and even cars! Snow was up to the top of most cars' wheels, which indicated that Mother Nature had no intention to allow anyone to drive to work, or anywhere else! My Nike hiking boots were pitiful against the 24 inches of frigid white powder!!! Even Nathan was overwhelmed when he stood next in the freshly carved pathway and the snow rose to around his armpits! Not your average snow storm!


There were places where I was up to my waist deep in snow!! It was incredible!! It was as if I had walked onto a National Geographic program on the winters of Alaska!! I was expecting to see a polar bear peer from behind the garages at any moment ;-)
After walking around in this knee deep snow for a couple of days, Liesel and I decided that we were in dire need of proper snow boots! Liesel got herself a pair of tall Woolen Shearling boots (thanks Axinja for your invaluable advice) which she loves! I bought myself some Rocky Snow boots which are waterproof and keeps you warm up to temperatures of -20F (-29C)! This made a huge difference and we finally found out how much fun snow can be when your feet aren't entering a hypothermic state and your socks are still dry!! So much so that on Sunday we drove down to Lake Erie again! This time it wasn't ice that covered the lake, but snow!!! It was white for as far as the eyes could see. There were even people who had decided to go for a walk on ,what is normally Lake Erie, for approximately 10 months of the year! Of course, I couldn't be here in Cleveland, with a frozen lake before me, and NOT go walking across the solid waters of Lake Erie! It was awesome! I even managed to dig down with my glove-covered hand until I found the waters of lake Erie, about 4 - 6 inches below me!!!

On a final note, please feel free to pray for us as Liesel and I make a decision about buying a house this week, and whether this is the right house for us! We found out that the price on our dream house has been lowered, which makes its slightly more affordable to us! I hope to see a financial advisor this week and sit down with him to crunch out some numbers, and then a decision will be made!

No comments: